Video from 2011 Libre Graphics Meeting presentation in Montreal

Here is the link for the presentation Open Source Digital Patternmaking Software at the 2011 Libre Graphics Meeting in Montreal:

Thanks to Kaveh Bazargan and River Valley Technologies for recording open source conferences and making them available on the webs.

This presentation is very informal and lasts almost an hour, probably because there were three different areas that I wanted to address:

1. How I had learned Python, SVG, XML, and Inkscape during the past year, as there has been some discussion on how users could become programmers and contributors in the open source world.  The examples are rudimentary to show where I started from.  The current code is much better.

2. How to write an Inkscape extension to gather user input and create new SVG objects.  It took about 2 months of work to discover how to create an extension which creates new objects – it doesn’t merely operate on existing objects.

3. How this approach might be used to teach Inkscape, Python, SVG,  XML, and the open source model to younger students.  Again, the examples are rudimentary to show how easily these concepts can be conveyed.

About Susan

FOSS digital patternmaking developer
This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Video from 2011 Libre Graphics Meeting presentation in Montreal

1. Laura says:

Hi, Susan~
    I just discovered your open-source clothing pattern application page while searching for an inexpensive product. It looks like you may have lost steam (!) on the development, based on your lack of posts here on the blog….My hope is that you are still moving forward and will have a workable product available soon…? Will the application be available to the home sewist? That’s my hope!

Please reply as to the status of your project…If it will be available to me anytime soon, I will save my money and not purchase Wild Ginger, or similar :)

Best of luck to you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Laura

2. Susan says:

Hi Laura!
    Thanks for your awesome feedback. It’s always nice to hear from someone who’s totally interested.
    Currently the software exists only as a library of functions that can be used to hand-program a pattern.
    A GUI hasn’t been developed yet, so you should probably investigate some other options in the meantime.
    Wild Ginger is good. And have you looked at PatternMaker software?

Happy Holidays to you, and thanks for your encouragement
    Susan

3. Rebecca says:

I’m familiar with visual basic and C programming and creating user interface . I’m looking for a final year engineering Honours project.

4. Matthias says:

Hi,
    I discovered your project today and was totally happy someone get too a few ideas on using Inkscape for Fashion-Design and pattern making. I also had before me basic ideas on how some additional drawing tools in Inkscape could help with pattern-making. You got the knowledge of the mathematical side of pattern-making to work with Inkscape in some way. If I will found my idea notes on Inkscape and Fashion Design again I will tell you them in a comment in the future.
    Just after see your LGM2010 presentation video I also stumbled on the following one.
    It is about FOSS in Vietnam and how find there participants for a FOSS project. As in Vietnam are many talented tailors and a big cosplay scene that are potential users of your project as well as potential open-source programmers. As I have a few little friends in SE-Asia I will tell them about your project. Is there any direct link to a code repository or similar thing were contributors and developers can meet together and exchange code and ideas? Maybe do a Facebook page “Fashion Design with Inkscape” for make some noise so people learn about the project.

5. Giamps says:

I’m a programmer, and an open-source enthusiast & hobbyst. I lately come into the open fashion trend, on the “tech” side, and then found your site and your scripts for Inkscape. They are a powerful idea, so I studied them and tweaked a little, for example to print reference letters at nodes; I also made a simple parametric skirt generator. If you have plans to continue your “crusade”, I would like to contribute!

6. Susan says:

Hi Giamps!
    Thank you for making the node id’s visible on the svg document. They were visible with mouseover when viewing in an SVG-animation compliant browser. But I think it is better to have them visible all the time. Thanks!
    I’ll review the code today.
    Soon the bezier math functions should be completed, so I can concentrate on posting software design docs and proper TODO lists to make this project take off.

- Susan

7. Daniel says:

Hi – Just wanted to say that I am super excited about this project! I consider myself both an intermediate-level computer programmer and an aspiring pattern designer and really enjoyed watching your presentation online. Please keep us posted as to your progress!
    Daniel

8. Hello,

I have quite a few fashion designer girs from my circle of friends and they have this same problem.. they cannot afford to buy those expensive softwares they have used in university and this is exactly what they would need. I am motion and graphics designer and I’m using Blender for 3D animation, so I know that open source CAN be good.
    I even had an idea to maybe start a similar project, although I’m not programmer at all. And that’s how I found your project. Really interesting.
    I think we should implement project like this in schools, so students would develop them as part of their studying program..
    And of course this project would need to attract more people.
    As a designer I can say, that people love pictures. :) Maybe, when you will be ready, I can put together some kind of design to attract them.. and maybe some kind of informative animation with simple, explaining information about this project.
    And.. I think, maybe this project even can be put in kickstarter or something like that. You know.. that would attract people and maybe, if you would get money, you could hire some developer. Blender community is a super great example.. they have a huge base of donators, I am one of them too.

I hope this project will succeed,
    Karlis

9. Deanna Tanner says:

Found your site today while noodling for inkscape goodies. I am a self employed designer and I just got inkscape to design my business cards. I am really intrigued to use it as a design tool. Possibly a dumb question, what do you use to make your prints? I have used Wild Ginger and abhor the taping of stacks of paper together. Is there a (relatively) cheap large format printer out there? It’s all fun and games to have open source software, but then to have to spend 5 grand on a printer just doesn’t make sense to small (1 person) design shops like mine.
    Good reading on your site!

10. Susan says:

Hi Deanna!
    I’ve been using an HP755CM 36″ plotter. I think these are great plotters. Lots of these old plotters are still working.
    One problem with them is that the yellow cartridge stops working. I only use graytones so it’s not a problem.
    Buy a plotter with the HP ethernet network card, otherwise you’d have to connect to it with a parallel cable :(
    I bought my plotter for $120 at a technology recycling center, and order the 36″ roll paper online from Staples.
    Good luck finding a plotter!