Steampunk Jacket: Create seam allowance with Inkscape’s Outset feature

Current code files for Steampunk Jacket are here: http://www.sew-brilliant.org/wiki/index.php?title=Men’s_Steampunk_Jacket_1870-1900
Once the pattern is generated with the extension steampunk_jacket.inx and steampunk_jacket.py:

1.select all points that aren’t corners and set to auto-smooth.  Set points at the waist line and elbows to symmetrical.
2. set Inkscape Preferences/Steps to 56.25px (5/8″) for Outset to equal a standard seam allowance.
3.select the pattern outline
4.copy then paste in place
5.select Path/Outset
6. select original pattern outline
7. click on Edit Object’s icon on upper toolbar, set stroke-style to be a dashed line.

These steps will be incorporated into the extension soon, but I’ve got a deadline of this Friday to sew this up, and the pattern’s not completed yet.
Here’s the result:

About Susan

FOSS digital patternmaking developer
This entry was posted in Design, Inkscape, Process, Python, SVG and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Steampunk Jacket: Create seam allowance with Inkscape’s Outset feature

1. Linda says:

Hello,

I tried your extension and I get an error:
    Unknown option: –

usage: python [option] … [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] …

Try `python -h’ for more information.

2. Susan says:

Hi Linda,
    I’ve been out for Labor Day weekend. I’ll look into your error msg. What version of Python do you have installed, and which version of Inkscape?

- Susan

3. Linda says:

I am using Inkscape version 0.46. I read that I don’t need to install Python, because Inkscape includes Python – http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/GettingEffectsWorking

Linda

4. Linda says:

I think that your idea is great :), but the problem is how to print out the pattern :(

5. Susan says:

Linda,
    This is a project that is not ready for use, but I’m impressed that you are trying it out.

You will have to take the file as a .pdf to a print shop to be printed on wide paper.
    Call the print shop first to get the document size, and change your Inkscape document size to that width.
    Rearrange the pattern pieces to fit on new doc size, save as a .pdf to a USB drive, then take it to the printshop.

6. Susan says:

I’ve posted an updated version of the extensions on the wiki page. Instead of troubleshooting the old version, download the new version and see if it runs. It will add a different menu option in the Effects/Extensions menu – tmtp – and the jacket is labelled ‘Steampunk Jacket.’ There may have been a ‘cut and paste’ error with the p,revious as I’ve had inkscape support feedback that the old versions ran properly on versions .46, .47. and .48.